IRC Q & A: Gavin Lerena
Gavin Lerena has made a name for himself worldwide – not only because he has over 2000 career winners and 15 G1’s to his name. He’s a jockey who seems to excel the tougher the company gets and has proved himself against the best from limited opportunities.
He rode his rivals to sleep in the 2015 Hong Kong Longines International Jockeys Challenge in 2015, and again at Ascot in 2016, where his double helped the Rest Of The World Team to a victory in the Shergar Cup. “Gavin is a brilliant rider and he has showed that this afternoon with two good winners,” said the Rest Of The World’s team captain Silverstre De Sousa afterwards.
Gavin’s come back from a few injuries during his career, having to work tirelessly to get back on top every time and now, approaching his peak, he is in hot form and hard to ignore when the best rides are booked.
He’s a true professional, a family man that’s easy to get along with and has fostered a healthy relationship with his many fans and the racing media, evident again after his scintillating G1 Cape Town Met win on Michelle Rix’s Kommetdieding last Saturday. Lerena is a true asset to his profession and an example to young riders.
Here is our snap Q and A with Gavin Lerena:
1. Full name? Gavin Juan Lerena
2. Date of Birth? 1985/07/02
3. Steak or sushi? Salmon Roses
4. Superstitions? Where do I start…
5. Fav Holiday Destination? Mauritius
6. Which: BMW or Merc? BMW
7. Who inspires you the most? My family
8. Big night out or quiet night in? Quiet ones
9. Left-handed or right-handed? I prefer to hit with the head hahaha
10. Number of winners or number of Gr1 wins? Over 2000 winners, 15 Group 1’s
11. What annoys you the most? Empty Vessels
12. Cape racing: Limited season or year-long? Tough one
13. Funniest person you have ever met? Lucky Houdalakis when he is on form’
14. What felt best winning: The Cape Met or Durban July? Both were great, July was an achievement all round… Met was incredible to have all our supporters there and to bring home the peoples horse Kommetdieding!
15. Strict whip rules or no whip at all? Strict crop rules and fines to go Horse Care Units
16. What is your biggest phobia? Losing
17. Most embarrassing moment? Uummmm … leave that for another day
18. Colts or fillies? Fillies all the way
19. Best dresser in weighing room? Me, by a long way!
20. Proudest Achievement? Seeing my kids grow
22. Economy or business class? Private Jet
23. Your star sign? Cancerian
24. Weight debate: Should minimum/maximum weight be upped for jockeys? Minimum should be raised
25. Bath or shower? Shower
26. Read or Netflix? Computaform ….Netflix… Money Heist/ Peaky Blinders
27. Would you rather ask for permission or ask for forgiveness? Permission
28. Nominate someone for our Q&A next? Jessica Motaung
Nominate two horses to follow for the rest of this season. Desert Miracle, Kommetdieding