IRC Q&A: Scott Ellis
Heaven is Cheltenham and lobster curries!
Scott Ellis, a co-founder of the IRC, also administrator, tipster and general go-to-man, has a dry sense of humour that keeps everybody smiling when the sinks start draining. He was born in Lambeth in the early 1970s and lived about 200 yards from Nelson Mandela house in Peckham. (“Yes there is such a place”, he says).
Scott now lives in sunny Essex after meeting his wife Claire almost 20 years ago, and his South London days seem a very distant memory. He tells: “Stand By Me is one of my favourite films and the famous line at the end ‘I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve’. Jesus, does anyone? This line always gets me and reminds me of times gone by and the stuff we used to get up to.
“Fortunately, I went on to work at Cazenove & co and met some great characters well after the age of 12. We shared for years a mutual lunch time meeting of great minds at the Coral bookmakers in Angel court and sadly not all are with us anymore – God rest their souls. I actually saw the Twin Towers collapse while I was in there, which seems like only yesterday. We now have a WhatsApp group called the 200k club which is a great group of lads that I try and get to do as much crazy stuff as they will allow me to organise.
“Oh, and by the way the group name comes from the exact opposite of what you are probably thinking. We never miss Cheltenham or Ascot, play Golf every year somewhere different and have Augusta 2023 firmly in our sites. I just need Woz (IRC Golf tipster) to find me the winner of 2022 Tournament in order to pay for it!
“The IRC is great fun with new avenues opening all the time so I hope to see some of you at future events and would like to thank all members for supporting us in this new venture. I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Bobby and the guys at Fitzdares for their ongoing support and always making us feel welcome.
“Watch out for the celebrity Poker coming in November!”
Here is our Q & A with Scott Ellis:
- Full name? Scott Ellis
- Date of Birth? 10 May 1973
- Steak or sushi? Steak
- Superstitions? I always salute a single magpie
- Fav Holiday Destination? The Maldives & Ulusaba Sabi Sands
- Which: BMW or Merc? Never owned either
- Who inspires you the most? Rick Stein (Chef) – Well travelled, cooks a phenomenal Goan Lobster Curry and manages two wives one in England and one in Australia. Oh and defo Sir AP McCoy.
- Big night out or quiet night in? Is it ok to have a quiet night out? lol
- Rolex or Breitling? Rolex
- Most memorable day in racing? 12th March 1997 – Istabraq won the Royal & Sun Alliance – That was me hook line & sinker (Never missed a festival day since).
- Inner-city apartment or country house? Country House
- What annoys you most? Someone once said to me – We are all either Radiators or Drains. I’m not a lover of Drains…
- Funniest person you have ever met? Geoff Shaw (He comes to Cheltenham with me every year)
- What is your biggest phobia? Needles
- Cheltenham or Aintree? Cheltenham all day, every day!
- Most embarrassing moment? Once went for a shower at Camberwell swimming baths and took the wrong door out back into a packed swimming baths naked.
- Jumps or Flat? Jumps
- Proudest Achievement? My Daughter Jessica (Born at 26 weeks) & the best bunch of mates.
- Economy or business class? Business
- Jockeys: Whips or no whips? Whips
- One thing to improve racing for everyone? I’ve noticed most racecourses are Cashless? How does that work?
- Your star sign? Taurus
- Bath or shower? Shower
- Beer or whiskey? Beer then whiskey
- Read or Netflix? Read
- Bookmakers or tote? Bookmaker
- Would you rather ask for permission or ask for forgiveness? Forgiveness – IMO you only regret what you don’t do!
- Nominate someone for our Q&A next? AP McCoy.
Best horses to watch this season:
I Am Maximus, recommended to IRC members at 50-1 earlier this year, and Ferny Hollow, a 25-1 recommendation earlier this year.
Chosen charity for readers to donate to: Injured Jockeys’ Fund.
NEW COMPREHENSIVE IRC CLUB MEMBERSHIP OFFER, INCLUDING TIPS AND SHADOW OWNERSHIP, GO HERE FOR BIG VALUE!