IRC secures three terrific yearlings

Last week’s Bloodstock SA National Yearling Sale in South Africa featured a power catalogue that yielded a R136-million turnover and a sale average of R357 887 per yearling sold, and the IRC secured three smashing foals at value prices.

As a selection team, Mike and Laura de Haast have proven themselves most proficient in securing the proverbial ‘plums’ at the lower end of strong markets – like indeed this sale – and they came away with three special lots which are so impressive on looks and pedigree we’ve already syndicated 80% of them. That leaves 20% for our readers – please look at the pics and information below and mail Joao Da Mata direct on pa2joaodamata@gmail.com to secure your share of what we think will be super racehorses. (Prices quoted in South African Rands (ZAR) – divide by 20 for approximate GBP price).

AN ABSOLUTE STEAL AT R80,000:  Winter Palace is well-related.

From the Catalogue, Lot 155 is Winter Palace, by Potala Palace from Sehaba (Galileo), “stolen” by our team for R80,000 and Mike de Haast commented: “She is neat, a good walker and she looks quite racy. She’s out of a Galileo mare and I though she was great value at 80k. We rate our prospects on a scoring system, she scored 3 out of 5. A value horse, not from one of the fashionable stallions although he has produced some brilliant runners in Singapore export Katak and G1 sprinter Singforafa.” Winter Palace is a half-sister to Shah Akbar, multiple Gr1 placed from just a few runs in South Africa, including 4th in the G1 Daily News, before being exported to Mauritius last year.

FROM EXCITING FRESHMAN STALLION: Lot 398 comes from winning family.

Lot 398 is an unnamed colt by freshman Dynasty stallion Horizon from the prolific winner producer Gilmore Girl (Roi Normand), whose previous foals include Graded-place Retro Effect. Said Mike: “He’s quite good-looking and caught my eye. He is well put together and correct. Horizon is an unknown quantity, but he’s a stallion bred along incredible lines so worth taking a chance. We’re happy to have acquired him for R220,000.

MEDIUM-SIZED POWERHOUSE: Check the engine on this well-bred filly!

Lot 434 is a peach of a specimen by champion stallion Gimmethegreenlight out of Inverroche, the lightning fast Gr3 winner and Gr1 placed, retired after nine starts and set for a big career at stud. This is her first foal, and just look at the photo. Mike commented: “She was one of my picks at the sale, we got her for R425,000 – happy to pay that. She’s out of the incredibly quick Inverroche (Ideal World), not the biggest filly, but a powerhouse. She’s a great walker, looks like an early type which is good because we got a selection of early and later types.”

The trio has joined Sigi Sauter at Fiddlers Green to be spelled and prepared for training later this year. Mike said: “Once they’re backed, we’ll see how they grow and develop.”

***

From our racing week last week: IRC’s greyhound My Blue Boy ran again, another good run in second, after running wide and being ‘checked’ by the winner coming into the bend. “He would have finished closer if nor for that,” said Billy Brennan, our dog expert. Watch video here, My Blue Boy (red jacket), starts from Trap 5).

Doc Sportello runs at Windsor today, Race 1 off at 2:16 UK. Trainer Tony Carroll will be sending members a voice message – we’re hoping he can earn in a six-horse field following three successive fifth places. Go The Doc, he’s 10-1 and better on some boards, not out of it.

***

Our Saturday columnist, Nick Gordon, writes entertaining stuff in ‘Nick In Newmarket’, because he actually lives in the village and rubs shoulders with the elite at horse HQ.  No stories of after-race parties, keys in hat and that kind of stuff (yet), but his column is popular with readers because he tips well too. Ten days ago he was bullish on Twilight Lady, who won at 14-1, and last Saturday he gave us 1000 Guineas winner Cachet, an 18-1 chance! Nick was also in the know of 1000 Guineas favourite being scratched from the race, before she was scratched, 10 days ago. Good going for our man, we look forward to more. Please send on our newsletter subscription link to friends who don’t receive our letter yet.  – IRC.

Leave A Comment

All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required

X